yokoso hiroshima!

michigan > hiroshima

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

CIR interview (JET) pt2


happy new year~!
so, in my previous post, i talked a bit about the interview for CIR on the JET program. now to continue...

2a. The Interview (cont)
after the japanese interviewer has finished talking with you, you will be left to the devices of the non-japanese interviewers.
they will be interviewing you in english.

during this portion of the interview, you can show your best side in your native language.
this part of the interview probably will not differ much from a typical job interview. i've seen sites that tell you to read up on japanese politics, history and culture. but, again, every interview is different. whether or not you are asked such questions is not something you can easily predict, and "studying" up on information that you eventually won't use is time that could be spent brushing up your japanese.

the interviewers may ask about your hobbies and things that you wrote on your application.
at this point, it may be easy to forget that the japanese interviewer is there, but don't! while he/she may not actively take part in the english portion, they are most likely taking notes on how understandable your english is.
moreover, that person is still an interviewer. make contact with them, and include them in your conversation, even if they don't respond.

even if you are a CIR, there's a good chance that you will be asked to teach english to schoolchildren or city employees. if japanese people can't understand your english because it's filled with slang and comes flying out like a bullet, that's not getting you any brownie points.
stay calm!

back to the english speaking interviewers.
there may be a good cop/bad cop thing going on. don't break under pressure.
if you don't know the answer to something, say so.
living in japan is a type of high pressure situation, and if you can't handle 2 guys grilling you about the newest episode of "american idol", you won't be able to stand up to japanese life.

and...that's about it.
when the interview is finished, you'll be asked if you have any questions.
you may also be asked if you would accept an ALT position. this question doesn't mean that you've failed. and if you don't want ALT, then, it's fine to state that.

don't forget your shitsu-rei shimashita on the way out + bow!

3. FAQs
1. I don't have 2Q, can I apply for CIR? Will they even accept me?
JET (in America at least), only requires that your japanese level be equivalent to 2Q.
there are CIRs who have never taken JLPT who have "passed" and are now working in japan.

HOWEVER. if you are applying from canada, and don't have 2Q, it seems that you may get a "phone test" before your interview results. it's a short 10 min or so chat, it seems.

2. I haven't been to Japan/studied abroad in Japan. Am I doomed?
No!
there's nothing on the JET application form that states that you must have studied abroad in japan to be eligible. and yes, there are CIRs who have never studied abroad that have "passed".
i won't lie, though. having some...any study abroad experience/time abroad experience looks good. it speaks to whether or not you can handle living overseas.
if you haven't studied abroad/haven't studied in japan, you may be asked why.
i would say, be honest. if it's because you didn't have the money, say so. if you couldn't fit it into your schedule, say so.

3. I'm worried my Japanese isn't good enough...
i think that most applicants have that fear. but remember this: if JET was looking for perfectly fluent speakers, they could search within the smaller japanese-american community or within the overseas japanese community. JET is a cultural exchange program.

4. I've got a lot of experience translating, and I've passed 1Q. Isn't this interview just a formality?
i've known of a few people who were confident that they nailed the interview, only to be put on the alternate list. why does that happen? who knows.
my guess would be that they might have overestimated their abilities and maybe came on too strong. there's nothing wrong with a strong background in japanese, but, again, the program is an exchange one. rather than thinking of why they should choose you because of your japanese skillz, think about what unique features that only you can bring to the program.

5. I'm Asian-American. Doesn't JET only want white people?
if you think that way, why even apply?
there are a large number of Asian, black and other non-white JETs. along with "older" (30+) JETs, married JETs, gay JETs, vegetarian/vegan JETs and disabled JETs.

being an able-bodied, blonde-haired, blue-eyed person is not a free pass onto JET.
your "differences" are what makes you you.
the bigger question is, whether or not you will be able to deal with the various situations that will arise that are related to your particular situation.

that's about all i can think of now related to the CIR interview. if you have questions. post 'em up!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I was looking up the CIR interview in google. It came up your blog. Anyway, I m applying for CIR for 2013 and I had read your post about the interview for CIR. Can I ask what kind of the expectation I should bring on to the interview. As they will ask for a self introduction (I guess). Should I tell them my hobbies or character? or I should wait for them to ask me more question?

6:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi I want to ask about the CIR interview. Do I have to know some of the "Keigo" Honorific Japanese. because I m scare will make mistake in the interview. will they expect the CIR know how to speak some?

6:08 PM  
Blogger special_k said...

Hi there. Sorry for the late reply.
I didn't use keigo in my interview, just "desu/masu" and that was fine.
Depending on what country your in and what area you're in, your interview might be different.
I was asked about a few situations, such as how I might handle being asked to work on a holiday/when I've planned to take time off.
For my self-intro, I think I just told them that I was a uni student, how many people were in my family and my major. I have never been that good at talking about myself.

Sit up straight, smile. I think they're looking for two main things: one, that you can communicate in Japanese (even if it isn't super perfect Japanese) and two, that you're not going to go crazy (ie- that you're flexible and won't spend your time proselytizing).

Good luck!

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home